About the Gallery
In 1937 William Heaton Cooper bought a piece of land just off the village green in Grasmere. It was here he intended to build his Gallery and home. By 1938 the project was complete, funded by the success of his first book, Hills of Lakeland. It had 52 colour plates and received very good reviews. From this success his new gallery became a popular destination for those who visited Grasmere. It continues to be a popular destination for many visitors.
Today, the Studio is composed of three galleries exhibiting the work of the Heaton Cooper family of artists. In 1940 William Heaton Cooper published his first print "Wind and Sun, Wastwater”. Since then, the collection has steadily grown to more than a hundred prints by the different artists in the family. These can be viewed in our galleries in the various frames we offer.
In the third gallery we have original paintings displayed alongside sculpture by Ophelia Gordon Bell. It’s not unusual for customers to sit and relax while viewing the beautiful paintings.
You can view all the paintings, prints, sculpture, books and greetings cards here in our web gallery.