The powerful twin combination of rushing water and rock were one of William’s favourite subjects to paint, and he frequently enjoyed the challenge of portraying all the complexity of water in simplified shapes, as it cascades its way down through the jutting rocks. Here in this animated painting he relates the top of the river Esk as it reaches the level ground of Great Moss, where Esk Buttress and Ill Crag can be seen across the Moss.
A brilliant study of rocks and water, this powerful and atmospheric painting shows the River Esk in its infancy, as it cascades down over the rocks on its way to Great Moss. Esk Buttress and Ill Crag rise into the mist beyond.
"This wild region, one of the grandest and most solitary in the Lake district, is traversed by few, owing to the absence of roads"
(Black's Guides to the English Lakes, ed. Gordon-Home, p203)
Inner Print Sizes:
- Framed - 602 x 488mm / 23.7 x 19.2 inches (Inner Print: 426 x 304mm / 16.8 x 12 inches).
- Framed - 317 x 267mm / 12.5 x 10.5 inches (Inner Print: 172 x 114mm / 6.8 x 4.5 inches).
- Mounted - 575 x 458mm / 22.6 x 18 inches (Inner Print: 426 x 304mm / 16.8 x 12 inches).
- Mounted - 285 x 235mm / 11.2 x 9.3 inches (Inner Print: 172 x 114mm / 6.8 x 4.5 inches).
- Frame & Canvas dimensions may vary slightly due to the slight variations frame width.
- Please allow +/- 5% on all measurements to allow for human error when measuring, rounding & conversions. For an exact measurement of your desired frame, please contact us.
- Canvas Prints do include the frame and come as seen in the photo.
- Canvas frames may vary slightly in color. If you’re ordering multiple canvases or already have a canvas and would like the frame to match, please get in touch.
- Loose Print sizes are the size of the inner picture. All loose prints come with an additional white border, ranging from 30mm to 85mm depending on the print size. This can easily be cut off with a ruler and knife.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.