Here is the classic view of Grasmere which greets any visitor, after rounding the sharp bend of the A591 at Penny Rock Wood; coming from Ambleside in the south.
Painted one late April day in 1965 when the air is crisp and light, William has emphasised the distinctive pyramid shape of one of Lakeland's most well-known and climbed hills - Helm Crag, which ends the ridge that swings up Far Easedale and beyond onto Steel fell. He also skillfully reflects all the subtle tones of the surrounding hills in the calm, transparent waters of Grasmere Lake.
"I wish you could see Grasmere at this moment - the lake smooth as a silver shield for the most part, but freshn'd by partial currents of air which give relief and coolness to a somewhat sultry and electric atmosphere-the shadow'd clouds drag slowly over the mountain sides, and the smokes mount slowly as a solemn hymn to Heaven"
(Hartley Coleridge: Grasmere (1830) in: Prose of Lakeland - B. L. Thompson, p104)
Inner Print Sizes:
- Framed - 463 x 372mm / 18.2 x 14.6 inches (Inner Print: 317 x 208mm / 12.5 x 8.2 inches).
- Mounted - 434 x 344mm / 17.1 x 13.5 inches (Inner Print: 317 x 208mm / 12.5 x 8.2 inches).
- Frame & Canvas dimensions may vary slightly due to the slight variations frame width.
- Please allow +/- 5% on all measurements to allow for human error when measuring, rounding & conversions. For an exact measurement of your desired frame, please contact us.
- Canvas Prints do include the frame and come as seen in the photo.
- Canvas frames may vary slightly in color. If you’re ordering multiple canvases or already have a canvas and would like the frame to match, please get in touch.
- Loose Print sizes are the size of the inner picture. All loose prints come with an additional white border, ranging from 30mm to 85mm depending on the print size. This can easily be cut off with a ruler and knife.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.